“A vibrant and dynamic retail hospitality sector which has the freedom and flexibility
to deliver jobs, growth and prosperity in the heart of the community”
THE ROLE OF THE ALMR
The ALMR is the unrivalled network of entrepreneurial retailers and industry suppliers that champions the smaller independent companies that own and operate pubs, bars and casual dining restaurants in UK.
WHAT WE DO
The ALMR campaigns on behalf of its retailer members, encouraging government to recognise and act on the economic, social and charitable value we bring to communities up and down the country. We work to:
- Promote free, fair and flexible markets: we need root and branch reform of business rates and to revise and update the code of practice for Leasing Business Premises holding back high street investment
- Reduce the cost of doing business responsibly: by obligating regulators to have regard to economic growth with appeals to Small Business Champion
- Unlock the growth and investment in our people and communities: cutting the jobs tax for under 25s and extension of direct funding through the tax regime for accredited training
By being the rational voice of the operator we work with government to:
- Promote the reputation and benefits of retail hospitality
- Protect commercial interests by reducing the cost of doing business responsibly
- Prevent the imposition of restrictive legislation & taxation
WHO WE REPRESENT
Our growing membership; currently 180 member companies; range from pubs, bars, nightclubs and restaurants who share common interests. Our members represent a wide array of high street brands
- Our members operate approximately 22,000 outlets
- Our members employ over 650,000 team members
- Our members encompass entrepreneurs, small, medium and PLC companies and reflects the industry we serve with 75% of our members being small companies.
Our influential and growing membership (+30% in 2014) make us the largest representative body for operators in licensed hospitality by some considerable distance. Our members are responsible retailers developing valuable social, cultural and economic assets – community spaces, visitor and tourist attractions and significant local and national revenue generators – and provide well regulated and controlled environments for people to enjoy alcohol responsibly and socially. We do not represent property landlord interests, brewers or other suppliers.
- The ALMR provides a valuable general counsel service which saves our members’ money on legal matters.
- Our public affairs work in 2014 resulted in savings for the industry of £125m with many more of the successes yet to come into effect we are proud to deliver commercial value to our members.
- We run technical working groups on subjects such as licensing, as well as operator workshops on food and marketing – all providing the opportunity for operators to share technical expertise and experiences while informing our submissions to government, which promote change.
- We provide on-tap advice, guidance and thought leadership to our members as well as a political horizon scan so that operators can keep an eye on the future safe in the knowledge that we are always focused on their best interests.
- Weekly e-zine giving members up-to-the-minute information on key issues
- Bi monthly ALMR newsletter is posted out to each member
- Detailed briefing notes on key issues in the members section of the ALMR website
- Annual Benchmarking survey looking at costs of running your business as an industry benchmark as a proportion of turnover
While we do not represent suppliers we have a vibrant and supportive supplier membership who not only support the ambitions of the operators in the sector but contribute to the organisation and experiences at our unrivalled networking opportunities – from Ski and Race Days to Business Conferences and Directors Dinners. All these benefits can be yours from as little as 90p per day. Subscriptions are based on annual turnover and for the smallest companies range from £330-£2000, rising to £5-£25k for the largest national chains. If you would like to join your colleagues and add your weight to our lobbying on behalf of the industry join now!